Radio star’s brother has over 20 pellets in body after random firing

The brother of popular broadcaster Jay-Jay Feeney, who was allegedly shot randomly at a party, says he was petrified at the thought of dying.

“I was really scared that I would never see my boys again,” Poull Andersen told the Herald on Sunday.

“I fought so hard not to pass out, they allowed me to continue.”

Andersen’s life is now on hold as he processes the trauma he went through.

“It’s spinning over and over in my head all day and all night. I stay up really late so I’m really exhausted, it’s the only way to fall asleep without thinking about getting shot.”

The 33-year-old father and business owner was ordering chicken and chips from his favorite kebab shop when he and two women were reportedly injured in the shooting on Fort St in the early hours of Saturday March 5.

Poull Andersen shows the scars of a random shooting on Fort St. Photo/Jason Oxenham

Andersen had 22 lead pellets surgically removed from his upper torso, face, nose and arms. A few pellets pierced his lungs and one narrowly missed his heart. He says the doctors left about 20 pellets in his body because they were difficult to remove.

He has a long running scar on his stomach and a moving pellet near his elbow.

“They must have cut pellets in my arteries, intestines and stomach. One pellet missed my eye and there’s one lodged near my heart. I’m full of lead and tire easily,” Andersen said. .

His mother, Robynne, jokes that she has banned her son from returning to town. When she found out he had been shot, she panicked and ran through several red lights to be with him.

“I was so worried I thought he had a big hole in him and there wouldn’t be much left of him. When I saw he had tiny little holes all over him he looked like to a colander. I told him I loved him.”

She says her son has lost his “mojo” and is sensitive to loud noises and triggers easily.

“He’s a loving person, a good person, but he can get angry. He’s more aware of everyone and he’s on his toes. I understand how mums feel when their kids are badly hurt, you think, “God, this is the end. I never want to go back there again.”

Andersen’s days are taken up with medical appointments and he sees a psychologist regularly as he says his head is a bit “angry”. A Givealittle fundraising page was set up by Andersen’s friends, but he had to withdraw the $8,500 to pay rent and bills.

The mechanic owns JDM Garage and refurbishes and modifies sports cars. He is too sick to work and has financial difficulties.

“The ACC doesn’t cover the costs enough. I lost a lot of salary; it affected me a lot, I was so behind on my rent because I didn’t do anything for 10 weeks.

“I worked so hard to build a business and everything was taken away from me.”
An 18-year-old boy, whose name has been removed, has pleaded not guilty to three counts of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm with a firearm.

“I’m angry that he has the name removed,” Andersen said.

Jay-Jay Feeney and Poull Andersen with their mother, Robynne Andersen. Photo / Provided

His sister, Jay-Jay Feeney, told the Herald on Sunday that she was frustrated by the rise in crime in Auckland.

“The level of violence is disgusting and terrifying. My brother never wants to go back to his favorite kebab shop again. I’m scared for my boyfriend who works in town – it’s not like ‘this is happening to anyone’ another” because it happened to us.

“My brother is traumatized, we have to be careful around him. I don’t think anyone can recover from something like this.”

Andersen says his world is smaller and he will never return to the city.

“I’m not the bubbly, fun person anymore. I’ve slowly withdrawn from the world, I think.

“I’m staying well out of town; I don’t ever want to be in a situation like this again.

“My boys who live in Christchurch don’t want to visit me; they’re too scared. I love my kids to pieces; I want to be there for them and no one is going to take that away from me.”

– by Carolyne Meng-Yee, NZ Herald

Comments are closed.