Softball preview: at No. 23/RV Louisiane
Texas (16-9-1) at #23/RV Louisiana (15-5) | March 16 (double program) | Lamson Park, Lafayette, Louisiana.
Wednesday March 16
4 p.m. TEXAS at #23/RV Louisiana – ESPN+
6:30 p.m. TEXAS at #23/RV Louisiana – ESPN+
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana (Lamson Park)
Ticket information: LINK
Television: Scheduled to stream live on ESPN+ via the links listed in the schedule above.
Radio: Texas games this season are scheduled to air on radio via a web stream with Andrew Haynes on the call via this LINK. The Texas show can also be heard locally on 105.3FM as part of the Austin Radio Network supported by the Longhorns’ flagship radio station, 104.9 FM The Horn.
- Senior second baseman Janae Jefferson is approaching another important milestone in his career in needing just one hit to become the first Longhorns player and fifth player in Big 12 history to hit the 300 career hit mark.
- Receiver/first baseman Katie Cimusz East is currently running a base streak of 17 games reached. It’s the longest by a Longhorns player this season and for any Texas freshman since. Janae Jefferson recorded a streak of 19 base games reached from April 11 to May 12, 2018.
- The Texas defense has settled in since a tough night against UCF (February 19), posting a .975 field percentage while making 10 errors overall in the last 16 games (10 error-free efforts).
- Texas’ March 13 tie against Minnesota was the first since March 15, 2008, when UT tied North Carolina 1-1.
- Texas freshman third baseman Mia Scott is off to a terrific start to his academic career, reaching a team high of .413 overall (26 for 63) with four doubles, three triples and 12 interceptions. Scott currently leads the Longhorns with nine multi-game hits in 2022, is at bat .455 in the top of the inning and recently posted a base streak of 16 games reached.
- Watch out for Texas’ offense this season with two outs in one inning. In all, 63 of the Longhorns’ 140 RBIs (45%) came with two outswhile 14 different Texas players have recorded at least one two-out RBI with a senior receiver/first baseman Marie Iakopo in the lead with 11.
- The Longhorns are off to a fast start in 2022 when it comes to stolen bases. Texas’ 50 steals are the most in the first 26 games of a season since Team Texas in 2014 stole 46 sacks in the same span..
- Freshman catcher/first baseman Katie Cimusz earned him first career selection as Big 12 Conference Player of the Week on March 8 after going .429 (9 for 21) in seven games with eight runs, two steals, four HRs, 21 total goals and seven RBIs, while hitting 1,000 with a 1,500 OPS. She also had four of five on a streak, including a two-run HR against Alabama All-American pitcher Montana Fouts.
- Texas sophomore shortstop Alyssa Washington had a great performance against Miami (OH) on March 6, 2 for 3 with a career HR and SIX RBI. He scored the most RBIs in a single game for a Longhorns player since Shannon Rhodes hit in six against UTSA on March 27, 2021.
- In the circle, second year Estella Czech turns into a valuable relief pitcher. In seven appearances out of the bullpen vs. FGCU, McNeese State, No. 5/6 Florida State, No. 3 UCLA, No. 24 UCF, No. 22 Arizona State & Minnesota, Downers Grove, Ill., native has a 2.05 ERA and 14 strikeouts in 13.2 innings of work.