Ybarra powers Huskers to 6-0 win
The Nebraska softball team extended its winning streak to 11 after a 6-0 win over Michigan State on Saturday afternoon. The Huskers (26-9, 6-0 Big Ten) were led by seniors Cam Ybarra who broke a Grand Slam tournament in the second set and added a brace in the fifth, finishing 2 for 3 that day.
In the circle, Olivia Ferrell recorded the shutout of four hits to improve to 14-4 on the year. Ferrell pitched the full game for his fourth shutout of the season.
Ashley Miller (1-7) suffered the loss as the Spartans fell to 20-18 (1-7 Big Ten).
The Huskers took a big lead early in the second inning with five runs. Singles from Abbie Squier and Ava Bredwell put a runner in position to score while a single from Caitlyn Neal tagged Squier. With two out, the Spartans intentionally walked Billie Andrews and loaded the bases. Cam Ybarra broke a Grand Slam tournament to take a 5-0 lead.
The Spartans tried to retaliate late in the third. A walk and error put a runner in scoring position, but a fielder’s pick and strikeout knocked NU out of the inning while keeping MSU scoreless.
The Big Red added another run in the top of the fifth inning. A double of Cam Ybarra put her in scoring position. Sydney Gray followed by a triple, scoring Ybarra. Nebraska managed to hold Michigan State scoreless the rest of the game, winning Game 1, 6-0.
The Huskers will be back on Sunday, April 10 for a doubleheader against the Spartans. The first game will start at 11 a.m. followed by the second game around 1:30 p.m. (CT). Both games will be broadcast live on Huskers Radio Network and Huskers.com with call-in from Matt Coatney. Games can also be streamed live on BTN+ (subscription required).
- Cam Ybarra broke a grand slam in the top of the second set. It was his second Grand Slam of the season and the team’s fifth.
- With five Grand Slams this season, the Huskers are now tied for third all-time in Nebraska history. They are tied with the 2015 team which also recorded five.
- Ybarra’s home run marked only the second homer Ashley Miller has given up all season. She initially held opponents to a home run in 451 at bats.
- Miller had limited his opponents to just 13 extra hits in 122 innings this season. In seven innings today, NU had two doubles, a triple and a home run against second.
- The Huskers extended their winning streak to 11 games. The last time Nebraska held an 11-game winning streak was in 2014.